Professor and Head of Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics, University of Manchester
I am a mathematician and computer scientist, interested in semigroup theory, tropical algebra and geometry, combinatorial and geometric group theory, formal languages and automata, cryptography, computational complexity, parallel processing, quantum computing, and especially the interactions between these fields.
When I'm not actually doing maths, I am running the Pure Mathematics Group in Manchester, coordinating the North British Semigroups and Applications Network (NBSAN), or editing the journal Communications in Algebra. And when I'm not doing that, I'm a father (of three), husband, rambler, fellwalker, consumer, commuter, cyclist, motorist, genealogist, cross-country skier and crossword enthusiast.
- A new preprint entitled NP-completeness in the gossip monoid (joint with Peter Fenner and Marianne Johnson) is available here.
- A new preprint entitled Face monoid actions and tropical hyperplane arrangements (joint with Marianne Johnson) is available here.
- The 24th NBSAN meeting was held in York on 11th May 2016.
- A slightly less new preprint entitled Amenability and geometry of semigroups (joint with Robert Gray) is available here.
- The 23rd NBSAN meeting was held in St Andrews on 17th and 18th March 2016.
- An even less new research preprint, A large class of sofic monoids, is available here.